Amazon

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Cinnamon Rolls ~ Old School Recipe






Cinnamon Rolls ~ Old School Recipe

A single place where good & gooey and sweet & sugary combine together with unforgettable buttery flavor.

36254916_10211428705136646_4452179037657235456_n

Impressingly it was pure nostalgia coming from my oven the afternoon I decided to try these on for size. A whiff of reminiscences crepted thru my kitchen to fill every room in the house. Provoking memories of yester-year while inticing current hunger... and, instead of satisfying that hunger with something resembling lunch ~ I waited.  I waited for these beauties to be done. Correction: WE waited.
Um... Dare I testify: "don't do that!" For Realz! This is NOT one of those "do as I do" moments. Otherwise you will accidentally eat them all like we did! (well, almost all) #sugarrush
I'm not sure "how old" equals "old school" either but if you are, let's say, 30 years or older then you might recall when fresh hand-made cinnamon rolls were actually rolled out by your cafeteria ladies. SAM_0049

They were one of the best things about school.

Of course, this was wwwwaaaayyyyy before we cared about the calorie intake of our student body. When pizza was tasty, sloppy joes were greasy and whole milk was available in white and chocolate! Before the public school lunches were hijacked.
Oh, how I recall wheeling & dealing for any extra cinnamon rolls too. I'd wipe tables, put up trays, stack chairs. #MmmMmmSoGood

My fave way to eat them was to unwind each roll so I could enjoy the soft tender dough, layer by layer. Occasionally, anticipation or lack of remaining lunch time would force me to simply sink deep into the center, combining all of those layers into a single sticky mouthful! Either way, I always tasted the sugary glaze first, followed by nuttiness of pecans ~ a slight sweetness from the dough ~ 

ending with a buttery, sugary, cinnamonSAM_0051

burst bouncing over my taste buds beginning at the tip of my tongue with each bite.
In my opinion, even the cinnamon rolls sold at the State Fair are not as good as the ones from school 'back in the day.
So if you're ready for your taste buds to take a trip down memory lane (or simply want a bomb ass cinnamon roll, head to the pantry with this recipe in hand:

SAM_0052

Dough Ingredients:
  • 2 pkgs. yeast
  • 2 cups warm milk
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp salt (omit if you use salted butter)
  • 2 tbsp softened butter
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour (for softer dough add 1 egg & increase butter to 1/4 cup)
Filling:
  • 3/4 lb butter
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp cinnamon
Glaze:
  • 2 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Dissolve yeast in milk. Add sugar, salt & butter. Mix Well. Add flour gradually mixing well after each addition. Knead and let rise until double in bulk. Heavily butter two 9x13 pans. Lightly oil board (or flour counter) and roll out dough into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Spread filling evenly over dough. Roll up tightly, sealing edges. Let rise until double.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
Glaze as soon as they come out of the oven.
IMG_20180626_161306_844

I have to credit my cousin for sharing this recipe (Thanks Cuzz!) & www.cook.com
Note: I only baked 1/2 of a batch tossing the other 1/2 in the freezer without adding the filling & before the second rise.
The dough freezes well for future cinnamon roll treats! #thereisyourtwofer
Do you have a favorite from past school days? Yeast Rolls were my #2!

Til Next Time ~
Domesticate Rebellion

THRIVING ~ Have you witnessed the testimonies? It’s not about weight loss; it IS about feeling better from the inside out! If interested I would love to help you! Knowledge is Power! Sign-up for a FREE account & information at https://domesticated.le-vel.com
 
  • DISCLAIMER: This post may contain affiliate links meaning if you click & buy, I may be compensated. So, Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment