Amazon

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Soup






Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Soup --

Spicy, belly warming comfort in a big bowl on a cool day with the hubs ~ does it get any better than that? 
For me at the moment, nope

I do all I can to savor the sweetness of a quiet peaceful 'nothing pressing to do' afternoon like today. 
No agenda. No appointments. 
Just the big screen, my coffee, blanket and the boys at my feet (of the four-legged kind ;)) 

Easy-going dreary day enabling my drifting back and forth between dozing off & watching the final season of Heartland...
 or NASCAR... 
or... 
ZZzz...

Peaceful slumber came easily until I hear:

"Honey, What's for dinner?"

Heart-racing with bubbling panic momentarily overtake a sleepy-eyed me. 
Sheesh, How long was I out? What time is it? 
Then the moment passes because I see the hubs is sleepy-eyed  too; 
just like me. 

♥ Stretch *sigh* Yawn  ♥ 

No worries. I didn't nap past dinner time BUT I did wake up unbelievably hungry!  
So, y'all know I ♥ Pinterest. And that is exactly where I found some last minute inspiration 
when I was vapor locked for dinner ideas. 

Say Hello to Chelsea & her Crockpot Green Chicken Chili Enchilada Soup  ( <3 ). 
Her idea went hand in hand with items I already had so I'd say it was 
destiny for dinner!

006



Here's what I grabbed:
  • 1 Lg can (28 ounces) green enchilada sauce
  • 1 can white beans, drained
  • 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
  • 3 boneless chicken breast (I used leftover grilled breast & shredded it)
  • 1 sweet onion, chopped & sauteed in 1 tablespoon EVOO
  • 4 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2-3 tablespoons fresh cilantro optional
  • 2 cups chicken broth or stock 
  • 2 tablespoon sour cream (topping)
  • Monterrey or Colby Jack Cheese (shredded)
  • Chopped avocado 
  • 1/4 cup sugar (*optional)
009

Personally, I enjoy dancing around the kitchen doing some sort of 'prep' work for dinner. 
This dish however had minimal effort in the prep department. 

A good thing on this particular day.  

For this soup, prep consisted of just chopping/sauteing the onion 
then peeling/cutting up the avocado and 
finally shredding the already cooked chicken breast. 

Easy Peasy friends. 

The rest is open, drain, rinse, or measure and dump into a soup pot.
 Warm until bubbly & dish it up. 
TADAH!

 We topped each of ours with sour cream, shredded cheeses and chopped avocado.

Full Disclosure moment... ready for a laugh y'all? 
IMO, this is a very spicy soup. I honestly did not realize how spicy it *would 
have been if not for this slight mishap that could have proved disastrous. 

See, while warming the soup I started heating water for some green tea. (the hubs ♥ green tea)

005

Anyway, apparently I was side tracked (or sleep walking) as instead of adding sugar to the boiling water for the tea... 

you see it coming, huh?  

yup, yup ~ you guessed it ~ I lifted the  soup pot lid  
with one hand & poured 1/4 cup of sugar in with my other! 

F$!% F$!% F$!% FF$$!!%%  

Immediately I knew what I had done and there was absolutely no way to undo it. 
In my mind I mock myself by replaying this in slow-mo.  SMH! 

To say I was pissed-off was an understatement. #JustCallMeGrace

*Long story short & some real disclosure - the sugar actually toned down the spice enough for me to enjoy. 
I'm not a spicy person, I don't enjoy burning from the inside out. 

Hmmm; destiny meets divine intervention? 

Perhaps. I'm just thankful tho as it turned out really good, froze well 
and we have enjoyed it three additional times since.

Have you had a recipe mishap that ended up making something BETTER? Tell me about it!

Til Next Time ~
Domesticated Rebellion

THRIVING , Have you witnessed the testimonies? It's not about weight loss; it IS about feeling better from the inside out! If interested I would love to help you! Sign-up for a free account at https://domesticated.le-vel.com
  • DISCLAIMER: This post may contain affiliate links meaning if you click & buy, I may be compensated. So, Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment