Amazon

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Butternut Squash Soup - Roasted Style


Let me preface this post with some full disclosure friends: I HEART FRESH VEGGIES! 

Although I am not a vegetarian ~ I am a huge fan of all plant based edibles! ;) LOL

Veggies are my saving grace from food boredom.  I love how they are so forgiving & provide me some versatility in how I cook them. Rather the fry pan, baked in the oven or perhaps some steaming. Maybe grilling on an open flame, even the crock pot or saute -- However you prefer vegetables -- to me, in a word, they ROCK! As does this recipe...

Simple. Easy. And the word that will either scare you away or pull you in..... HEALTHY! A melt in your mouth good kind of healthy!

008

PSA bonus: This soup is extra healthy (IMO) as there is zero cream and zero butter.

If I didn't make it myself, I wouldn't know it lacked either of these ingredients because it is exceptionally silky smooth. The natural flavors meld together seamlessly to create a sweet but earthy deepness. A taste bud trip that can only be taken on the roasting road.

*YUM*

Isn't it amazing the different textures/tastes each cooking method brings out of each type of vegetable? I could go on and on about my discoveries but I'll save those explorations for another post.

To make this beautiful soup, you simply put all your vegetables together in a roasting pan. The flavors combine while roasting, meaning your oven does the heavy lifting for you.

Another #SCORE!

I roasted together:
  • 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1' sections
  • 1 large sweet onion chopped into large chunks
  • 3 large carrots peeled and chopped 
  • Thyme & Rosemary to taste (can use either fresh or dried - don't forget to remove any stems before puree if you use fresh herbs)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Dash of Hot Sauce (Texas Pete)
  • 3 cloves diced garlic (distributed evenly)
  • 3 cups vegetable broth - 1/2c to 1c for puree use the rest for final soup coupling
  • 2 TSP EVOO
Peel, cut and clean all of your vegetables.
Combine everything together with oil and spices in your roasting pan then
roast in the oven at 400' until everything is fork tender.

(Personally, I let it all go until the edges began to burn & each morsel glistened with droplets of natural juices making way to the surface.) Ah Yes, slightly crispy outside with tender fluffy insides.

Once cooked as desired, remove from oven and put into a food processor pulsing with just enough vegetable broth until smooth and silky. Once all of your vegetables are pureed, add them to a sauce pan with the remaining broth. Simmer for about 10 minutes tasting and add more seasoning if needed, stir to combine and Enjoy! It really is that easy!

I only tweaked this recipe slightly. And that was by omission of any product called for that I didn't have on hand; specifically sage leaves, celery and red pepper. No matter though, I can tell you it was scrumptious. No guilt. Very Filling. And Very Good For you!

I hope you try it. If you look closely, you'll see I did add cream in a moment of weakness. Don't judge! :)

As always, hit me up and let me know what you think! If you switch it up, do share!


To see the original recipe visit www.aheadofthyme.com or click HERE.

Til Next Time ~
Domesticate Rebellion

THRIVING ~ Have you witnessed the testimonies? It’s not about weight loss; it IS about feeling better from the inside out! If interested I would love to help you! Knowledge is Power! Sign-up for a FREE account & information at https://domesticated.le-vel.com
 
  • DISCLAIMER: This post may contain affiliate links meaning if you click & buy, I may be compensated. So, Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment